Chin Implant Surgery
A weak chin can make an individual appear tentative and indecisive. It can also you're your face appear imbalanced, and accentuate a large nose, jowls, and a poorly defined jawline. Many people elect to have their weak chins corrected through chin implant surgery.
Dr. John Smoot, Dr. Wendell Smoot, Dr. Reza Sadrian, and Dr. Carol Hollan board certified cosmetic surgeons in the La Jolla, San Diego area, have performed multiple chin implant procedures. They have over 70 years of combined cosmetic surgery experience between them. These surgeons would be pleased to discuss their chin implant technique with you and share before and after photographs at any time.
The following are key points regarding the chin implant procedure:
- Chin implant surgery is an outpatient procedure and will be performed in our accredited surgical center.
- Normally, we perform the procedure under local anesthesia, but we are certified for all types of local and general anesthesia and we will make a determination as to what will work best for your specific needs.
- The procedure typically takes a little less than one hour to complete.
- The incision is either inside your mouth alongside the lower lip, or in the skin just under your chin.
- A chin implant of the correct size and shape to give you the results you seek is placed against the jawbone and secured.
The Chin Implant Recovery Process
The following explains what you can expect as you recover from chin implant surgery:
- You will receive detailed instructions on how to care for yourself following the surgery.
- Be sure to arrange to have someone available to drive you home and to stay with you for a day or two following surgery.
- Following surgery, tape is applied to your skin to offer support and to reduce swelling and pain.
- If your doctor placed the implant through your mouth, stitches that dissolve will most likely be used and will dissolve in around ten days. If your incision was in the chin, regular stitches will be employed and will be removed about one week after the date of your surgery.
- Expect pain and swelling of the area for a few days after your implant has been placed. It will be hard to smile and talk. The good news is that this is temporary and will go away within a few days.
- Your chin and neck may appear bruised and feel tender. Your doctor's office will instruct you on proper techniques for tooth brushing and rinsing so that you can avoid causing yourself pain.
- If an incision in your mouth was used to place your implant, you will be restricted in diet for a few days. Jell-o, pudding or other soft foods will be recommended. Meal-replacement shakes can help you meet your nutritional requirements during the recovery period.
If you live in the San Diego area, and are considering a chin implant procedure, please contact the offices of Dr. John Smoot, Dr. Wendell Smoot, Dr. Reza Sadrian, Dr. Carol Hollan to schedule a chin implant consultation or call 800.715.5052; our doctors can help you determine what approach is right for you.
Wendell Smoot, M.D.
John Smoot, M.D.
Reza Sadrian, M.D.
Carol Hollan, M.D.
9850 Genesee Ave. #300, #380
La Jolla, CA 92037
Phone No: (858) 587-9850
Fax: (858) 622-2066
Cosmetic Surgery for Men
If you live near La Jolla or elsewhere in San Diego and would like to learn more about abdominoplasty or liposuction, contact our practice today.
New Patient Form
Sharper Image Loan Application